Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Birthday Journal...and Baby Clothes Quilt!

So some of you (or many of you, who knows) may read this and think, that's a no brainer, I've been doing that for a long time...others of you may read this and be enlightened on a new idea(s). If you are one of the latter, this post is for you! :-)

So there are two things that I've just begun working on in order to preserve memories of my boys as they grow. The first one hast to do with Birthday cards. I'm a very sentimental person and have a hard time getting rid of any birthday cards, Christmas cards, Valentines cards (the list could go on), not to mention artwork and crafts the kids have done, tickets from places we've been, etc. As you can imagine, things pile up, or should I say fill up crates! On the other hand, I'm an extreme organizer as well so these two things seem to fight against each other all the time because that side of me wants to purge and get rid of all the eccess and the sentimental side reads that stuff and can't let go many times. On to the point, this last Saturday morning I was decorating for Cohen's 1st Birthday party and I truly believe the Lord just gave me this idea...it did not come out of no where! As if someone said it outloud it hit me, why don't I start a Birthday Journal for our family! Instantly I was so excited I could hardly stand it!!! I went to my closet to see if I had a blank journal, and I did! So I set it out, writing at the top of the first page Cohen's name and age and underneath that the date of the party. When everyone was sitting to watch him open gifts I explained our new tradition. At each party/birthday for the boys we will have this journal out and anyone who would like to write a short little note/prayer to/for him in the book is more that welcome to. No pressure, but we will keep this journal for years to come and from time to time let the boys read things people have written to them. This is a much more concise way of keeping precious memories (just as written in cards) than having to have all that bulk. Not to say I won't ever keep any cards...just not nearly as many!

The second is quite different but I am just as excited! Since I've had my tubes tied and it's been sinking in that Cohen is my last baby, I've been slowly trying to let go of all the sweet little baby things that we've had all these years. I see each outfit and a flood of memories come rushing back, which I love. The thought of having to get rid of all these sweet items just makes me want to cry, even though at the same time I am so excited about how big they are getting each day! Well, I was at my sister-in-laws about a month ago and her sister-in-law told us about an idea that had been shared with her a while back. You save you faovorite items and when you have enough, make a quilt out of them. I loved the idea that forever I will have a quilt that I can sit down with and hold and touch each piece as I remember who wore that outfit and how cute they were!!!

I praise my God for caring about the little things and giving us ideas out of 'nowhere' that will have the oportunity to make an impact for a lifetime! Isn't our God awsome!!!

1 comment:

Janelle and Ella said...

The quilt is the greatest idea I have ever heard. I can not tell you how thankful I am that you shared that. I struggle also when letting go of Ella's baby things and I can not think of a better way to preserve those.