Friday, August 14, 2009

My Heart's Not Ready To Share!


Well, it all started earlier this spring when Corbin asked me one day if we (him and I) were going to get married when he grows up. The conversation went something like this...

C-Hey Mommy, when I grow up are we going to get married?
M-Well Honey, little boys don't marry their Mommy's, pluss, Mommy already married your daddy. Don't worry about it though because Mommy can be your girlfriend for a really long time!
C-But Mommy, why can't we get married when I grow up, I want to live with you forever.
M-(as my heart is melting)Trust me, one day when you get older, you will fall in love with someone and want to marry them.

Then there was about 5 minutes that passed without him saying anything else about it. Then he says...
C-Mommy, ARE??? we going to get married when I grow up?
M-No Sweetie, but remember, don't worry about that for now, I can be your girlfriend for a long time.
C-Yah, and then when I get big I'll be your husband! (said with a big smile on his face as he skipped over to the dining room to play basketball)

Clearly he doesn't understand the concept of marriage, sweet as can be though! Now, fast forward to a couple of weeks ago at camp. The speaker brought his daughter and her best friend with him. Emily, his daughter, was dark haired and a similar build to me and just as sweet to Corbin (and the other boys) as could be. Corbin REALLY liked Emily a LOT and wanted to be with her ALL day the last two days and was very sad to have to leave her at the end of camp. Well, about two weeks after that we had another conversation that went like this...

C-Mommy, when we get to Beaumont can we go see Emily?
M-I'm not sure honey but maybe. You really like Emily don't you?
C- Yes, see Mom, when we first got there I really liked Emily, but later in the week I really started to love her. She is just so pretty and nice to me.
M-That's great that you love Emily, I'm sure she loved you too.
C-Well, when we go to her house I'm gonna ask her where her room is. Then I'm going to take her to her room and tell her I need to talk to her and then I'm going to ask her to marry me.
M-(WHAT??? I thought you wanted to marry me?!? I'm thinking this of course, not saying it to him!!!) Well Baby, come here, Mommy needs to tell you something. Emily is a lot older than you and you really aren't going to be able to get married to her.
C-(Sobbing at this point) But Mommy, I love her, it's just not fair we can't get married!
M-Remember, one day when you grow up you will fall in love with the girl God has for you! Mommy has been praying for you and her since before you were born.
C-you know who she is?
M-No, but I'm praying she will follow hard after Christ, just like I'm praying that for you!

Well, he cried, actually sobbed, for about 15 minutes and then decided he was alright. It just almost broke my heart into pieces to see his little heart broken! He is such a sweet little boy with a HUGE heart and he truly LOVES so many people! He has a heart of gold for sure! All of this truly made me realize, though, that for now...my heart is not ready to share! :-) With God's strength though I know that as the time comes I will be able to let him fall in love...that's going to have to be one special girl!!

2 comments:

The Sotos said...

oh my word - that story is precious!

Lori said...

I love it!!!