Saturday, January 9, 2010

Bacon Corn Chowder!

So with all of this frigid cold weather in the past week or so I had been wanting to make a new soup. I remembered that a former lifegroup leader of mine had mentioned trying a new recipe for bacon corn chowder and I also remembered how good it sounded. So I went to All Recipes and typed that in and up popped 16 different ones. Wow, how do you pick? Well, after reading several of them I realized that I didn't really love any of the recipes as they were. So I took my favorite things about 2 of them and then added a couple of additional things that I just thought might be good...and we ALL LOVED it!!! Even the boys said it was delicious! So I thought I would pass along this recipe in case you are looking for something new as I was. Enjoy!

1/2 - 2/3 pound of bacon (or ham) - cut up in small pieces and cooked 'till crunchy
1 medium onion (diced size of corn & saute'd in bacon drippings & 1 tablespoon butter)
2-3 large carrots or 12 mini carrots (diced the size of corn)
2 small potatoes (diced the size of corn)
1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernal corn (white or yellow)
2 cans chicken broth
2 cups half and half (or milk)
3 tablespoons butter (2 for the liquid mixture and 1 to saute onion in)
salt, pepper, nutmeg and sugar to taste
corn starch (mix with water and use to thicken soup)
finely shredded mild cheddar cheese

Saute the onion, then add with rest of veggies to the liquid mixture (milk, broth and seasonings) and cook on medium to low heat for about 45 minutes, thickening with corn starch after about 30 minutes. Serve with cheese and bacon pieces sprinkled over the top of each bowl. Serves about 5 full bowls.

No comments: